Motorcycle Training Frequently Asked Questions

hidden row

Can I take a course even if I don’t have my own bike?

We provide the students with bikes for the Gearing Up INTRO course and M1Exit course.

    What is the difference between the M1, M2 and M?

    M1 is a written test that can only be done at a Drive Test center. Only valid for 90 days.

    M2 is a road test which assesses basic driving skills and usually takes about 20 minutes. If you are successful, you will be granted a Class M2 licence. You must have at least 60 days of Class M1 experience before taking your Class M2 road test.

    M is a road test which assesses more advanced driving skills, including a highway component, and usually takes about 30 minutes. If you are successful, you will be issued a Class M licence.

    For the M test, you will be followed by a “chase car” with two DriveTest employees (a driver and a driver examiner). The driver examiner will provide you with instructions for the test through ear buds (hearing device) that will be provided to you.

    If you finish an MTO-approved motorcycle safety course, you can take your Class M road test after approximately 18 months (550 days) instead of 22 months.

      Do I have to wait 60 days after getting my M1 license before I can take a course?

      No. You can take a course at any time while your M1 is valid. After you have passed the riding test, you must however wait 60 days from the day you got the M1 before you can upgrade to an M2. Your M1 expires after 90 days.

      What type of riding gear do I require?

      In order to participate in our courses, you must have a legal motorcycle helmet and eye protection, sturdy jacket and pants, boots that protect the ankles and leather gloves. For full details what gear is required can be found on each program page

      Does your course include a licensing test?

      Yes. The Ottawa Safety Council is a recognized testing authority for the MTO. The final component of the course is a riding skills evaluation (a test). When you pass the test, you will be eligible to upgrade your M1 license to an M2. The test is conducted on the course on Sunday. Course fees include your test fees

      Where do I go to get my license upgraded?

      Any Drive Test center. Service Ontario does NOT issue licenses.

      Can I attend a lecture that is not on the course I have selected?

      You must attend the lecture immediately prior to your upcoming weekend

      Do I get a certificate upon completing the course?

      When you complete the course you will receive a certificate demonstrating you have successfully completed a Canada Safety Council sanctioned rider training course.

      I cannot get both weekend days off, can I split my course across 2 weekends?

      No, the course must be taken in a full weekend and cannot be split.

      Can I come in and pay in person?

      Yes, we take cash in person at the office PROVIDED the student pays finance first and receives an invoice and that the payment is almost as close to the fee as possible as we never have a large till on hand.

      Can I register for a course without paying?

      No, full payment must be made to secure your seat for the selected course

      Can a split my payment?

      No, full payment must be made at the time of registration

      Do you offer any discounts?

      No (unless they are part of our facilities organizations, which would be a discount of 35%)

      I see no seats available for the weekend I want, can you squeeze me into the course?

      No, but we can put you on a waiting list in case a spot does open up

      What type of bikes do you use?

      We have a variety of small displacement motorcycles (125-250cc) that can fit any student. The motorcycles represent several different configurations including sport bike, dual sport and standard models.

      I'm vertically challenged, do you have anything that will fit me?

      We have a variety of small displacement motorcycles (125-250cc) that can fit any student. The motorcycles represent several different configurations including sport bike, dual sport and standard models.

      Can I use my own motorcycle for the Gearing Up Course?


      Do you provide motorcycles for the M2 Exit course?

      No, this course must be completed on a motorcycle you supply.

      Can I use a borrowed bike for the M2 Exit Course?


      Where is the best place to buy gear?

      We do not recommend one specific store, but any motorcycle shop can help you find proper fitting and appropriate motorcycle gear. There are also many online retailers with motorcycle specific clothing that would be course appropriate. 

      How long do I have to wait before I am eligible for my full M?

      A minimum of 18 months from the day you get your M2.

      Do you offer a refresher course?

      The ERC course is great to dust off some rust and kick some old habits.

      What do I have to do after I take a course with the OSC?

      You are required to present yourself at a Drive Text center within 6 months of passing the course to upgrade your license. If you fail to do so, the MTO will not recognize your results and you will forfeit your course results and all associated fees.

      OSC thanks the following companies for continued support of our Motorcycle Training Program!



      General Dynamics Canada

      Kanata Research Park Corporation

      Abbott Point of Care

      Help Support the Ottawa Safety Council

      Donations to the Ottawa Safety Council help us to continue building new programming and creating and delivering awareness campaigns to bring road safety advocacy and awareness to everyone in Ottawa, regardless of how they travel.

      Our Latest Blogs